Friday, November 2, 2012

Pillion with a handsome biker…!...Nepal trip tidbit 2


Mukthinath is a steep climb from Ranipauwa. Before the steps begin, there stand a group of Nepali men with their bikes, offering a paid ride up hill and down for those who cannot climb.
“Would you want to take a bike ride?”Anil asked. I thought I was fit enough to climb and was about to say no when I saw a handsome fellow with sunshades leaning against his bike.’Ok. I think I will,” I said and before anyone changed their minds, “I will go with him!” I said heading towards that hero’s bike. With a bike pass dangling, I sat behind my chosen biker.
The ride would be so steep that some bikes might even tumble back. “Madam, dhono haath se idhar pakdo…” (Hold here with both hands)the other men said pointing to the biker’s waist, much to my pleasure and amusement. So I sat astride behind him, hugging him at his waist and zoomed off never once looking back at Anil, who was still standing there, with God knows what running through his mind!
Once at the top, I told them all I had a good ride and that I was more thrilled that I got a handsome biker.
“Hey do they have a suggestion box around?”Anil asked.
“Why?”
“Actually they must provide lady bikers too, for people like my wife…someone like Lara Croft in Tomb Raiders,” he said half jokingly!
The ride was paid for both ways. So when I came out after darshan, there were many bikers hanging around and we could take any bike back.
“Udhar…” they showed, pointing to the first one in the row. I took two reluctant steps before spotting my biker who was fourth or fifth in the queue.
“Nahin. Mein iske saath aye. Iseeke sath chaloongi…” (No..I came with him and will go back with him.) And again before anyone changed minds, I was seated behind him! He seemed pleased I chose him too. And so we started a conversation. His name was Sonam- something…the mountain wind blew away his surname.
“Yeh to ladkiyon ka naam hai!”(This is a girl’s name)
“Haan. Yahan to ladke bhi rakte hai…” (Yeah. Here it goes for boys as well) He was planning to study hotel management and was 20 years old. I was impressed and told him that that would do more good to him than ferrying passengers up and down hill for the rest of his life. I felt very happy sitting behind the young man. This time I held him at both his shoulders…It felt so familiar…it reminded me very much of how I rode behind my son. Needless to say, Sonam reminded me of my son whom I was sorely missing in this trip.
“Mera beta bhi tumhara jaisa hai…” (My son resembles you…) I said hoping that the wind carried away the tremble and choke in my voice too….
By then, we had climbed down.


No comments:

Post a Comment